Gloucester Ham and Vegetable Pasta Bake
Each serving of this delicious recipe contains 476mg of calcium, almost 70% of the most common recommended daily intake for adults.
25g (1oz) butter
175g (6oz) pasta shapes
1 onion, chopped
1 courgette, chopped
175g (6oz) baby corn, halved
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 x 275g jar tomato pasta sauce
100g (4oz) cooked ham, cut into pieces
175g (6oz) Double Gloucester cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or oregano, plus a few sprigs to garnish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
300g (10oz) natural Greek-style yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a large baking dish or individual baking dishes with a teaspoon of the butter.
2. Cook the pasta shapes in plenty of boiling, lightly salted water until just tender, about 8 - 10 minutes, or according to pack instructions.
3. At the same time, melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, courgette and baby corn for 5 minutes.
4. Thoroughly drain the pasta and add to the vegetables. Stir in the tomatoes and the pasta sauce. Add the ham, then cut half the cheese into small cubes and stir through the pasta mixture with the chopped fresh herbs. Season to taste, then transfer to the prepared dish and level the top.
5. Beat the eggs and yoghurt together. Grate the remaining cheese and stir it into the egg mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the pasta. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown. Serve, garnished with fresh herb sprigs.
Cook's Tips: Try Red Leicester or mature Cheddar cheese instead of Double Gloucester. You could use low fat natural yoghurt instead of Greek-style if you want to keep the calories and fat to a minimum.