Nigel Haworth's Tasty Lancashire Cheese and garden herb risotto
By Nigel Haworth
Nigel Haworth is chef patron of the highly acclaimed restaurant with rooms – Northcote and the award winning regional food group Ribble Valley Inn, which includes The Three Fishes at Mitton; The Clog and Billycock at Pleasington; The Highwayman at Burrow all in Lancashire and the most recent opening in Yorkshire – the Bull at Broughton. All properties feature menus that celebrate the local producers and high quality seasonal produce.
Creator of the now famous Length of Lancashire cheeseboard (winner of the Best British Cheeseboard at the British Cheese Awards 2006), Nigel has also developed a series of recipes featuring the different varieties of Tasty, Creamy and Crumbly Lancashire Cheese.
Risotto rice 250g
Chopped shallots 50g
Roasted garlic clove 1
Chicken or vegetable stock 400ml
Tasty Lancashire cheese 50g
Mixed fresh fine herbs 20g
- Sweat off the chopped shallots in olive oil until they become translucent
- Add the white wine and reduce until almost evaporated
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock about 100ml at a time until the rice has almost absorbed all the stock
- Season carefully and check that the rice is not overcooked
- Finish with the butter and the grated Lancashire cheese
This risotto can vary to the type of season we are in, for example a good combination in spring is nettle and wild garlic