Smoked Haddock and West Country Denhay Mature Cheddar Chowder
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 tbsps olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 medium leek, chopped (white part only)
3 celery stalks finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 glass white wine
350g potatoes peeled and chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
1 pint milk
Half pint double cream
500g natural smoked haddock, without skin or bones
200g grated West Country Denhay Mature Cheddar
2 tbsps chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to season
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Poach the haddock in milk and cream for 5 - 6 minutes, and then flake and leave in cooking liquor. Put to one side and allow to cool.
- Melt butter and oil and gently fry onion, celery, leek and garlic until translucent (about 5 mins).
- Add the wine and reduce by half.
- Add potatoes and stock, season, and cook for 20 mins until potatoes start to break up.
- Remove from heat and add the flaked haddock and milk mixture.
- Add half of the cheese and taste for seasoning.
- Divide between six soup bowls and garnish with the remaining cheese, chopped parsley and a little extra virgin olive oil.