West Country Cheddar, Asparagus and Mustard Tart
This simple but classy tart is a great springtime meal for family and friends. Enjoy this wonderful West Country version and take advantage of the British asparagus season to boot.
Makes: 1 tart
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
500g Asparagus spears
1 x 375g Pack of ready-rolled puff pastry
4 Egg yolks
200g Crème fraiche
100ml Double cream
2 tbsp Freshly grated West Country Cheddar
2 tbsp Grainy mustard
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Beaten egg for brushing
1 tbsp Finely chopped chives
- Clean the asparagus and trim any white ends or peel with a vegetable peeler.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 minutes before use.
- Preheat the oven to 220c, 425f, Gas mark 7.
- Unroll the pastry and place on a baking sheet.
- Take a sharp knife and with the point score a line round the pastry about 1cm inside the edge. Lightly prick inside the rectangle with a fork and brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
- Lay the asparagus in a neat line, all the tips facing the same way inside the border of the pastry.
- Mix together the crème fraiche, egg yolks, chives, horseradish and cream, season and spread over the asparagus tart and sprinkle with the Cheddar.
- Place in the oven for 35/40 minutes until golden brown and cooked (turn the oven down to 190c if the pastry is beginning to catch).
- Serve with a fresh tomato and watercress salad.