West Country Cheddar and Trout Pastry Bites
Delicious squares of Cheddary puff pastry topped with cheddar and strips of trout and shredded leek. Very pretty and tasty. May be made in advance and frozen for a festive delight.
Makes: 24 Pastry Bites
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
350g/12oz Chilled puff pastry
75g/3oz Extra Mature West Country Farmhouse Cheddar, grated
1 Medium egg yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp water
110g/4oz West Country Farmhouse Cheddar
2 Medium size leeks, finely shredded into rounds
Good pinch Fresh grated nutmeg and ground black pepper
110g/4oz Chunky trout fillet, skinned and cut into thin strips
1. Roll out the pastry to an approximate 25cm x 10cm rectangle. Sprinkle the top 2/3 of the pastry with the grated cheese. Fold the bottom third up to cover the middle third and then fold the top third over this. Turn the pastry a quarter turn. This incorporates a cheese layer to the puff pastry.
2. Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut into 5cm squares. Place on a baking sheet and brush with the egg glaze.
3. Thinly slice the cheddar into similar size squares and top a piece on each pastry square.
4. Lightly sauté the shredded leek in the butter for 2 – 3 minutes to soften. Use half the lime to squeeze juice onto the leeks. Season well. Spoon leeks onto cheese covered pastries and top with strips of trout.
5. Place pastries on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Oven bake for 15–20 minutes at 200°C/400°F/ Gas Mark 6 until the pastry is well risen and golden in colour and the cheese begins to ooze.
6. Garnish with thin slices of lime and serve whilst warm.